Sunday, November 3, 2013

A Non-Existent Character

Suddenly, everyone I know on Facebook is posting stuff about what to look for in a husband, and how to find God's match for you, and the "non-negotiable" qualities a husband must have, and what marriage is all about, and how God needs to be our everything before we look for another person.

It's getting old. Real old.

But, after reading lists of shockingly similar and almost arbitrary suggested "non-negotiable" qualities, I decided to make my own list.

Obviously, it's ridiculously specific and I do not expect to find a guy who possesses every one of these characteristics. I'm so okay with that. But I feel like this gives me something interesting to hold in my mind.

Stephanie's List of Desirable Guy Qualities (in mostly no particular order)
1. Christian
2. musician {note:  not "plays an instrument." I think playing an instrument and being a musician are different things.}
3. can dance
4. dark hair
5. good singing voice
6. likes to read
7. self-motivated
8. in good shape
9. knows what he wants to do with his life
10. knows how to make his dreams a reality
11. loves Disney
12. has a sense of irony
13. has the same sense of humor as me
14. knows when to stop
15. likes kids
16. plays a sport
17. stubborn
18. able to converse in an engaging and effective manner with people of all ages
19. a science or math person, maybe
20. likes to argue
21. pretty eyes
22. honest {includes keeping promises as well as not lying}
23. crooked smile
24. expressive eyebrows
25. will fight for those he loves
26. taller than me
27. tan
28. Having done drugs is not a problem, but he has to be morally against them now.
29. mindful of money
30. Chivalrous. Opens doors, walks a girl home/to her car/to her dorm, sits on the outside at restaurants, walks next to the road, carries stuff, pays for stuff.
31. unselfish
32. not in the military
33. cusses occasionally and artfully
34. can start a real fire
35. can tie real knots
36. good/similar taste as me in music
37. doesn't disrespect his girlfriend when talking to his friends
38. can help me with writing
39. good with directions
40. assertive
41. good grasp of grammar
42. hard-working
43. confident
44. understands me
45. patient {I'm not talking about the angelic sort of patience, but the calm, persistent kind of patience}
46. observant
47. not a Yankee
48. politically conservative
49. adventurous
50. writes letters

Anyone else interested in sharing some qualities/characteristics they look for?

~Stephanie

4 comments:

  1. it's funny to me, reading this list and realizing how many of those things i look for in a guy and how many of these qualities Nathan has. when the right guy shows up, he'll meet all of these. God knows the desires of your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is kind of awesome.
    I'll give you a list, but I'm gonna make a post out of it ;).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just FYI, Bruce Wayne contradicts 1, 2, 5, 6, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 18, 19, 20, 22, 23, 24, 27, 30, 31, 33, 36, 38, 40, 44, 45, 49, and 50.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow, I just noticed this comment, and it made my life XD I love you.

      Delete