Monday, April 9, 2012

Voices

You can tell a lot about people from the way they talk. Do they have a southern accent? A Yankee accent? Do they use the word "like" as a substitute for breathing?

However, the WAY someone talks isn't the same thing as their voice.

As I {literally} said not to long ago, voices really are important to me. They're one of the first things I notice about someone {along with their eyes}. If you have an annoying voice, I probably won't like you much right away. {Hey, I'm just being honest.} When I marry someone, I'm going to have to love their voice.

I mean, obviously I pay attention to WHAT people say, but I've already talked about that. This post is about the way words sound coming out of your mouth.

And let's face it:  you can have the best idea in the world, but if your voice sounds like you've shoved an eraser up your nose or swallowed a load of cotton, it's not going to be as compelling.

My fascination with voices is actually a little ironic, because my audio processing is sort of terrible. For example, if you come up to me and say, "Stephanie, don't forget the P-R-E-S-E-N-T," it will take me about thirty seconds to figure out what you're spelling at me.

If my math teacher tells me to "Calculate sixteen plus twelve in your head really quick," it will take me even longer. {Of course, that's partly due to the fact that math affects my brain the way the words "incoming atomic bomb" affect most people.}

But nevertheless, I have an immense fascination with voices, and I thought I'd share some famous ones that I love.

1. Christian Bale ~ Batman
2. Audrey Hepburn ~ Roman Holiday
3. Heath Ledger ~ A Knight's Tale
4. James Stewart ~ Harvey
5. Joseph Gordon-Levitt ~ Inception
6. Orlando Bloom ~ Pirates of the Caribbean
7. Ian Somerhalder ~ Vampire Diaries
8. Briana Evigan ~ Step Up 2

~Stephanie

4 comments:

  1. I agree with everyone on your list. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I rarely pay any attention to a persons voice (or I should say it has little effect on me). I give more weight to their laugh. If it's a laugh that makes you wish they never laughed again I have a hard time liking the person. Case in point, Maria Menuonos (however you spell that) was on Conan last week. On a purely superficial level she is a very beautiful woman, but the moment she laughed I was like, oops, sorry, no, can't do it, change the channel. I guess my reaction is superficial too but when I read your list of good voices, it actually has no effect on me at all. Though I do like Cate Blanchett and Ian McKellan's voices in general.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should add accent is more important than voice too, which was why I asked about yours :)

      Delete
  3. Gabi: :D Awesome.

    Jay: That's definitely a good thing to pay attention to also, although laugh comes second on my personal list. Accents are great! <3 Irish ones <3

    ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete