Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Happy Sweet Sixteen, Sarah

When we were little, Sarah pretty much adored me.

It doesn’t make any sense at all, because I was terrible to her. I got her in trouble on purpose, wouldn’t let her play dollhouse with me, and asked her for stuff all the time.

During the elementary and middle school years, things continued pretty much the same. She wasn’t good at making up stories like I was, and she had trouble in school. I didn’t “get” her, and I didn’t think a whole lot of her. I was a malicious, conceited bitch most of the time.

(It only got worse when I hit puberty and the whole world was harsh and cruel, pelting me with dreadful woes and misfortunes like wavy hair and having to take pills instead of the liquid medicine for five-year-olds.)

But then I turned, like, sixteen and realized that there is still SOME good in the world—and a lot of it is in my little sister.

She’s AWESOME, guys. You don’t even know.

She went from a girl who couldn’t have an opinion on her favorite breakfast cereal to a girl who posts Facebook stati like “Mondays: The death of the weekend.” and " ‘The world isn't split into good people and Death Eaters. We've all got both light and dark inside of us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are.’ - Sirius Black.”

She’s just…she’s so great. In fact, you know what, here’s the birthday thing I wrote for her:

Happy Sweet Sixteen! You're older than Paige and Darren. I know I keep saying that, but it just keeps blowing my mind... Your sixteenth year is going to be great. I really think that. I can't believe you're sixteen though...

You are so awesome. You're so cool. You give amazing advice. You're very insightful. You keep up with my life better than I do. You calm me down. You remind me where my shoes...(nail polish, belt, pocket book, journal, phone, iPod, brain, etc.) are. You don't let me walk out of the house wearing clothes of appallingly different styles.

You're hilarious. You have gorgeous eyelashes.

You're refreshingly diligent. You're incredibly thoughtful. Your eye for color is absolutely supernatural.

I don't know if you're aware of this, but you have an awesome sense of hesitant irony. It's so funny and perfect and makes me laugh a lot.

Your Facebook stati are great. I like reading them.

You don't waste words, online or in real life. When you say something, you HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY, and it's always something legitimate, thoughtful, delightful.

You've grown into such an amazing person. It's truly an honor to be your friend and be able to watch you as you change and become the person God made you to be. Keep being awesome. I'm so proud of you.

I know I'm supposed to be a good example for you, but it's no lie to say *I* look up to YOU. Thanks for keeping me straight and helping me see the good in the world. You impact my life more than I can ever express.

I love you so much, Sarah. Happy birthday!

So yeah. She's pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment