I was in Barnes & Noble last week. I had just discovered two unused gift cards in my wallet, and was so happy and excited that I almost couldn't breathe.
I read the backs of probably twenty-five books and studied the covers of twice that many. As I did so, I also discovered that I have quite a few "book turn-offs." I immediately put down any book that...
- contained the phrases "with the help of an unlikely friend" or "when the unthinkable happens."
- featured a girl holding a weapon on the cover.
- began it's coverslip with "(insert number)-year-old (insert catchy, obscure name)..."
- referenced text messages or social media sites.
- described a male protagonist using the words "sexy," "dangerous," or "mysterious."
- tried too hard with the characters' names.
I skipped the "Teen Paranormal Romance" section altogether.
What are some of your book turn-offs?
"my problem" about me America autumn awards Blog Every Day in June 2013 books characters college Collin dance dreams events family Fragments friends funny Gem God growing up helpful holidays hott guys lists marriage memories movies music PC pictures poetry Purple and Green quotes random reading review school shopping sick society stress summer tags thinking travel words work working out writing