Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Lonely Games

Day Four:  Your favorite quote and why

This question is outrageously difficult for me. My "favorite" quote depends on what mood I'm in, which quotes I can currently remember, and what kind of quote the situation calls for.

*forty-five minutes later* Alright, I've picked my quote. {But see the Quotes tab at the top of Peripeteia to see the runners up.}

"I'm afraid that sometimes you'll play lonely games too. Games you can't win 'cause you'll play against you."
~ Dr. Seuss 

I love the way this quote feels. It feels elegantly chilly, pale blue, and feather-light. It feels like a whisper and a hand barely brushing your shoulder. It feels like all alone in an empty room, hearing a voice that resonates from your heart until you hear it in your ears, swelling with murky clarity.

I've read that quote at least ten times now, and it continues to give me chills. The truth and wisdom are haunting.

I wish I could explain what it means to me, but I'm having trouble understanding it myself, much less putting it into words. I also think it will mean something equally pointed but different to everyone who reads it, so my explanation wouldn't mean much to you.

A house divided cannot stand; a You divided cannot win.

~Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment