Monday, November 21, 2011

Feminism: Celebrating the Difference

Thanks for following, Anna!

In light of the recent comments on the post Gender Specific Questions, I've decided to adapt a post I published a long time ago on another blog. It seemed fitting XD

"Okay. I'm a female. But sometimes women’s rights stuff is just irritating.

The whole Women-Can-Do-Anything-Men-Can-Do attitude can be abrasive and frankly, IT’S NOT TRUE. Now, I am a stubborn, proud, competitive person, but let’s face it:

Girls are never going to be suited for the NFL.

Our bodies are not designed with that in mind. And sometimes girls/women will go so far out of their way to prove that they are just as “tough” as their male counterparts that they come across rude and strange.

And they can miss out on some of the really fun parts of being a girl. {Being a tomboy is different, by the way, I speak from experience. Tomboys know that they’re being atypical and just like to do the things that boys do. They aren’t going out of their way to prove a point—necessarily.}

God gave men and women different physical strengths, instincts, and mindsets. If he wanted us to be all the same, we would be, and there would be no such thing as “maternal instinct.” Or “paternal instinct” for that matter.

Now, I'm definitely not saying girls should grow up, marry, have children, raise them and that’s IT. No. Duh, that's not what I'm saying. One of my career goals is to become a lawyer. I don’t necessarily believe that having kids is for everyone.

But, seriously, that’s kind of a waste of the whole maternal instinct thing.

Guys’ bodies are made to be, well, stronger in some ways. YES, there are girls that are stronger than guys. But on a natural, average basis, guys are stronger. It's just the truth.

And then you have instincts. Girl and guy instincts are just completely different. Guys, you see a hurt bunny, shoot it, eat it, it was gonna die anyway and you’re hungry. Girls, you see the hurt bunny, you think of helping it. At least for a second before you shoot it, etc. XD Paternal instincts vs. maternal instincts. Dads and moms both take care of the family, but in different ways.

All of us that have parents know this. When you want to do something that might be dangerous, but would definitely be exciting and a growing experience, who do you ask permission from?

I’ll give you a hint: not Mom.

When you need help with something that you really should have done two weeks ago or that you “ought to be able to do by yourself,” who are you gonna go to?

Another hint: not Dad.

See the pattern?

Now, I’m not stereotyping. I’m not even saying that a girl couldn’t become an NFL player. I’m just saying that it’s evidently less unlikely, and that girls’ bodies weren’t made for that.

And guys can’t make dinner, call the plumber, solve six problems, review a court case, plan tomorrow, make the grocery list and pour the cold medicine for Johnny at the same time. Their brains might explode.

The Point: I’m not saying that women are inferior in any way. In fact, I'm saying the opposite. I mean, seriously, how ironic is it when girls go about life screaming "LOOK HOW GREAT GIRLS ARE; WE CAN BE JUST LIKE GUYS!"

Um...anyone else catch that?

Instead of celebrating the fact that women and men can be the same, we should celebrate the difference once in a while. Because there is a difference. A big one. And it’s what makes us beautiful."

~Stephanie

4 comments:

  1. Well, yes, in fact you are stereotyping. You are simply celebrating the stereotype. And there is nothing wrong with embracing that if that is the life you choose. But there are loads of women who fought to be recognized in non-traditional careers, not because the do not think that being a woman is a bad thing, but because they are firm believers that equal pay for equal work requires, well, equal work. It is not about " being as good as a man". It is about being a good worker. It is fine to celebrate your version of femininity, just as it is fine to break traditional boundaries. Because not everyone wants to fit into those roles as narrowly defined by society. BTW, I found you examples of mom and dad questions hilarious because in my house it is the opposite.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written!

    I kind of wonder if Jamie missed the point though? Equal work/equal pay still does not mean the same. I didn't think you had a 'version of femininity', but a description of the fundamental differences between men and women. And non-traditional careers has nothing to do with equal work/equal pay either, they were non-traditional. Yes if they have the same job they should be paid the same, but even then it doesn't mean they're doing the same work load (and I mean that between same gender too).

    Yes you had to generalize a bit but that's necessary to write a post like this. Different does not mean better, just different. If I can life more weight than you does that make me better? Yes, but only at lifting weight. You're better than me at certain things, but we are equal as people.

    My take on this was sort of a balance to the femi-nazi's who go way overboard on this whole thing. I remember the Williams sisters complaining that they should be playing against the men in tennis because the women were too easy. I would have loved to have seen that. Your NFL example is perfect I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do me a favour, Jay, K? Actually READ what I right before deciding I misunderstood. I in fact did not. What I did was offer an opposing point of view, and quite clearly stated that. As someone who knows several women in non-traditional careers (my family owns a construction firm, and I worked there), I know a lot of women who pride themselves on their ability to do the same YES, the same job as the men in the same position.
    Why did I put up an opposing point of view? Not to be rude, but to offer up some discussion. I am sure, as I have been commenting for some time on Stephanie's blog, that she knows it is not intended as a slight to her at all.
    I would appreciate if you did not try to explain my posts. I am perfectly capable I assure you of stating what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After reading my comment again I can see your point. I did not intend it to be my explanation to Stephanie of your comment, but instead I was talking more directly to you about your comment and disagreeing with some of what you said (at least the first part of the comment anyway). I also thought you stated exactly what you meant.

    My confusion is where in her post you could offer an opposing point of view. She was talking about celebrating differences, not equality and I probably got off topic on that.

    I'm just as happy to see women perform non-traditional roles as I am to see men do the same. That being said, there are just some jobs that women cannot do the same as men, and that works the other way too.

    ReplyDelete