Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Rise of Elegant Eighteen

I should have seen it coming, but I'm shocked.

Guys, I'm going to be eighteen in two weeks. I have two weeks left of being a minor. It's crazy. It's weird. It's disturbing. It's frightening.

I know a lot of you who read this are already eighteen, or older, so you're probably laughing at me. I'll probably laugh at me in two or three years too. But right now, the prospect is uncomfortable, and I'd appreciate your not telling me how young and naive I am to be freaked out about this.

*comes up for air*

As much as the word "EIGHTEEN" has been making me jump recently, I have a bigger problem than just the age:

A party.

I'm drawing a blank. I have been for about four months now. It has to be awesome. It's my eighteenth. It needs to be awesome, unique, and memorable. It needs to represent me.

I know exactly how I want to FEEL at the party, and how I want others to feel. I want to feel happy and comfortable and crazy. I want everyone else to feel the same, with a small dose of This-Is-Unbelievably-Great mixed in.

I just don't know how to make that happen.

I LOVE parties. I love the music and the food and the people and the aura of spastic fun that hovers in the air.

However, I HATE hosting. I hate the part where if people don't have a good time, it's my fault. I hate the part where if the party is lame, *I* am lame. I how the part where everyone is watching if I do something stupid. I hate it, hate it, hate it.

*sigh*

But if I don't have parties, no one does, so I host anyway. This is especially the case of my eighteenth birthday party. I know for a fact that no one is planning a surprise party, so the burden of awesome rests solely on my shoulders.

Growing...

getting bigger...

pressing harder...

as the time for a birthday bash grows nearer and nearer.

I don't know what to do. I considered a Disney party, which was a hit last year, but it was Girls Only, and I'd like to accommodate my guy friends this year. I considered a Batman party, but that got tossed because my mom nixed all my ideas for it {out of Batarangs, a zip-line, and an insanely awesome black car, you'd think she'd have said yes to at least ONE of them}. Her suggestion was bowling. Um, not quite.

I am out of ideas. Beat. Drawing a blank. Don't know what to do.

This is where {hopefully} you guys come in? Do you have any suggestions? Any ideas at all? For those of you who have already become legal adults, what did you do for the big birthday? Help. Help. Help.

Please.

~Stephanie

3 comments:

  1. No ideas, but wishing you an early happy birthday. You'll find there is no difference waking up 18 as opposed to 17, other than they charge you now as an adult:P

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 18th birthday party was anticlimactic. It LOOKED awesome because I decorated it all Harry Potter and had a snitch cake, but I only invited like 7 people--my closest friends. I didn't want to turn 18 either. Not at all. But for however bad 18 is, 20 is absolutely AWFUL. I AM HALFWAY TO 40!!! THAT IS NOT OKAY WITH ME. I am so old! Decrepitly old. My life is basically over. *dramatic faint*


    But yea. You should have a Harry Potter party. Or Hunger Games. And make everyone scavenger hunt for food. And have pretend arrows that you shoot at each other.

    OH MY GOSH I WANT TO HAVE A HUNGER GAMES PARTY NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie: Dang. And I actually felt different when I turned seventeen XD

    Lex: Oooh! Snitch cake! How cool! Hey, halfway to forty isn't really that bad. You'll live a whole 'nother of your lifetimes before it comes. That's a long way away.

    A Hunger Games part would be really cool! The only thing is, it's frigid in February, so running around outside might not be too fun. But hey, the arenas are hardly ever comfortable, so... :D Thanks for the idea!!!

    ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete